One thing my closest friends know about me is that I’m a notoriously bad sleeper, to the point when I’d just moved to London that one of my friends started calling me a “fran-pire” because I would pretty much always answer their texts at any time of the night. (To be fair to me it was when I was working shifts rather than a standard Monday to Friday, more corporate role like now… but I guess the point still stands).
So, when I’d seen Feather & Down, the UK’s number one sleep brand, on the shelves of Superdrug it’s safe to say I was a little sceptical about how much they could really help. But, as the stars aligned, last week I was invited to check out their Suite of Dreams at the Sanderson Hotel and try some of the products myself I was equally excited and curious. So, let’s have a little look at what I got up to and if their products have managed to help me get a better night’s sleep…
Feather & Down – New Launch Showcase at The Suite Of Dreams
The team at Feather and Down had taken over a Penthouse suite at the iconic London hotel, The Sanderson to transform it into their Suite Of Dreams. Over the two bedrooms, they’d set up various showcases for their extensive range (which, more on that later, but features far more products than I’d first thought!). Along with letting us get a chance to try the range, they’d invited a sleep expert Dr Lindsay Browning to chat with us, and offered hand and back massages all while serving a range of lavender-inspired drinks and desserts. Totally dreamy, if you ask me!
While we learned a little bit more about the brand, we were treated to some treats inspired by the range. This included lots of lavender-infused desserts and cocktails to enjoy. (I know some people can find the taste of lavender a little overpowering, but all of these were as tasty as they were pretty. Not an easy thing to achieve!). Feather and Down had filled a, very tempting-looking, bubble bath with their bath products and the scent was incredible. Along with this, there were hand and back massages. After a long day at work, I have to say it was absolutely dreamy.
Feather & Down’s New Bath and Body Collection
While it was lovely to get to know a little more about Feather & Down as a brand and get to try some of their products, the main reason for the Suite of Dreams was to celebrate the launch of their new Sweet Dreams bath and body collection. The range contains a whole host of wonderful products, all of which smell gorgeous. However, the two newest to launch (and the reason for the Suite of Dreams!) was the new Warming Body Scrub and Nourishing Bath Soak. The Nourishing Bath Soak is infused with soothing Chamomile extract along with Evening Primrose oil. These are designed both to leave your skin feeling nourished and your mind feeling calm. The Warming Body Scrub much like the bath soak, has Chamomile Essential oils. But this time, teamed with Lavender. The scrub’s unique formula actually warms the skin as it exfoliates, making it ideal for when you’ve got tired muscles. (I’ve found popping it on my legs after a long day on my feet to be total bliss!)
Eight Tips For a Better Night’s Sleep From Sleep Expert Dr Lindsay Browning
While at the suite, we had the chance to chat with Dr Linday Browning a chartered psychologist, neuroscientist, experienced speaker and author, with a doctorate in insomnia from the University of Oxford. As the author of Navigating Sleeplessness and the sleep expert behind TroubleSleeping.com, she certainly knows her sleep and sent us away with some tips for getting a better night’s sleep.
- Have a regular bedtime and wake up the time seven days a week. (Not just Monday through Friday!). This helps your body get into the routine of sleep.
- If you’re an overthinker, like me, make time to “brain dump” during the day. Have 15 minutes or so where you write down what’s bothering you and clear it from your mind.
- If your mind is still racing after tip 2, try a distraction technique such as counting back from 1000. If your brain is distracted, it’s harder for it to focus on worries and anxious thoughts.
- Increase your exercise levels. This is proven to improve your physical health, mood and ability to sleep.
- Make time to wind down before bed. Take a long bath, read a book or even do something such as yoga.
- Ensure your bedroom is a sanctuary for sleep. If like me, you use your bedroom as an office it can be difficult to mentally separate the two. Doing things like making sure your work laptop is out of sight and your bed is your relaxing space is a great place to start.
- Make sure your bed is comfortable. Sounds obvious, but your mattress being supportive makes a huge difference to how much you toss and turn at night. That aside, making sure you regularly have fresh bed sheets makes your bed even more inviting.
- If sleep really isn’t coming to you. Take a little break from trying and don’t stress yourself out. Try make a decaf hot drink such as chamomile tea, read a chapter of your book. Then, hopefully, your mind will find it easier to drift off when you try again!
The entire Feather and Down range, including the new range is available to buy on Amazon, Boots and Superdrug.